10 Things to do in Victoria, BC
Victoria, BC is where I've [pretty much] called home for the past four years. In my completely biased opinion, it is one of the best places to live. There are quaint houses along nearly every street, the weather is usually nicer than the Vancouver area, and the fact that there are so many students around gives the city a youthful vibe. To start off a little series focusing on BC's capital, I've compiled a list of 10 things to do here in Victoria.
1. Hike up Mount Doug - it’s no Grouse Grind but it’ll make you sweat!
2. Explore Canada’s oldest Chinatown - make sure to wander down the super narrow Fan Tan alley for the full Chinatown experience
3. Coffee shop hop - Victoria has some of the best coffee shops I’ve been to. There are tons to choose from and they can be found in smatterings all around town. A couple of my favourites are Habit and Cornerstone cafe.
4. Go antiquing - head to Fort street if it’s antiques you’re looking for. There are tons of great shops full of antiques, repurposed, and vintage inspired gems.
5. Visit fisherman’s wharf - feed a seal, feed yourself.
6. Drive along Dallas road - one of my favourite ways to relax is to turn up my music and drive this road. It follows the ocean from downtown all the way to Cadboro Bay.
7. Support the local businesses - one of my favourite things about Victoria is how many local businesses there are. It’s so easy to support the community just by shopping at the local boutiques.
8. Head to the parliament buildings - you are in BC’s capital after all
9. Rent bikes - the city is pretty biker friendly and there is so much to see if you chose to ride around. You can also bike along Galloping Goose trail, something I’ve never done but have heard great things about!
10. Get some food - if you like food (and let’s be honest, who doesn’t) then you’ll love Victoria. The restaurant/cafe scene is fabulous. From Saturday morning brunch at Floyd’s to dinner at 10 Acres and everything in between, there is no way you’ll go hungry while you’re here.