Holiday Gift Guide: the small business edition (part 1)
The panic hasn’t set in yet. I still have just over a month to get all my Christmas shopping done. Loads of time. The perfect amount of time, in fact, to peruse the endless amounts of online shops to find the perfect gifts that will arrive just in time for the big day. As much as I love a good name big brand bag (I wouldn’t complain if I got a Herschel backpack..) I think I would way rather receive a gift that has been handmade by someone. As a crafter and knitter myself, I know the huge amount of work and effort that goes into making things. Wouldn’t you rather get a present that you know has helped someone out in some way? This year I am going to try to get all of my presents from small businesses or people who make things themselves! I did some digging around the inter web and Etsy and found a bunch of super awesome shops and products that I thought I’d share with you incase you too are wanting to support small businesses!
- Woodlot Candles - these guys are based out of Vancouver and create candles inspired by the the West Coast. The original candle smells UH-mazing and was inspired by the trees of Stanley Park. It would be perfect for nature lovers or anyone who enjoys being surrounded by the magical smell of a forest. Shopping for someone who doesn’t love the outdoors so much? Fear not! Woodlot candles come in other, equally delectable scents too!
- Jody’s Naturals - know someone who loves to smell good and likes to use natural products? This line of vegan bath and body products offers so much variety! A huge range of products from soaps and shaving bars to shampoo bars and cleansers you will definitely be able to find something for everyone on your list! Bonus - it’s all made by hand here in Victoria!
- YarningMade - another handmade Victoria product, these adorable knitted blankets will keep all the tiny people on your list warm this winter. I first found this shop through Instagram and fell in love with the simple yet bold designs. If you know someone who’s expecting or perhaps know of an infant in need of a snuggly blanket, or heck, if you yourself have been hunting for the perfect blanky, look no further!
- Wish You Were Northwest - this sister duo based out of Seattle, WA took their long harbouring love for the Pacific Northwest and turned it into a clothing line! Another gift perfect for someone who loves the outdoors, these beanies, sweatshirts, tees and tanks will leave you with a serious longing for a winter adventure.
- Little Pieces of Hope - I have lusted after this jewelry for ages. All of the pieces are so unique and range from being subtle, dainty pieces to chunky statement ones. The owner of this business, Cierra Tucker, started it after she was inspired to help make a difference in countries that didn’t have access to clean water. Since then, she has been making all sorts of pieces of beautiful jewelry and donates portions of her profit to a number of different charities. How’s that for some Christmas spirit, eh?!
- Feral Watches - you might recognize these guys from my “wanties” post a couple weeks ago.. I just can’t get over them though! I love the double wrap and large face. So classy. This company started on the beaches of Hawaii where they used watch faces and suede to create the wrap around look of friendship bracelets. Since then, the company has grown and created a bunch of different designs. These are perfect for the stylish person in your life!
- Carved - I am a long time lover of these guys. I first found them through Instagram a couple years ago and since then have absolutely loved them. The skins are so durable and the cases are just as great. They make products for all of your mobile Apple products as well as the Samsung Galaxy S3/4/5 and the Google Nexus 5. The customer service is also fantastic and if there is any issue with your order or product, they are quick and extremely helpful.
- Small Glow - These quirky mugs are perfect for all of your coffee/tea loving people. The sayings on all of them are great and there are even a few specifically for bloggers/etsy sellers. Know someone who needs a little motivation in the mornings? Look no further.
- Little Gold - another sibling duo, this brother and sister pair operate their handmade jewelry business here in Victoria selling the daintiest, most understated pieces of jewelry. They sell their products both online and in a shop at Uptown shopping centre in Victoria. I am in love with all of their pieces as I'm sure anybody who enjoys simple pieces of jewelry would be!