This was the first time I'd ever made butternut squash soup. I was a little bit nervous to work with stuff that I didn't have any experience with, but I think the experience was really great! This recipe was super easy and made suuuuch tasty soup!! If you like things to be more flavourful, I definitely recommend adding more spices to it. It's pretty bland on it's own but if after you blend it, taste it and see what else it needs!
- 2 medium butternut squashes
- 1 red pepper, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks of celery chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 7 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Fresh thyme sprigs, for garnish (optional)
- whatever spices or herbs you want to add for more flavour!
- Combine all of the ingredients, except for the heavy cream, in a large soup pot. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 35 minutes.
- Using a food processor, blender, or handheld blender, blend the soup up! (If you use the blender, cool the soup slightly, and purée in batches, making sure to leave the hole in the lid open to allow the steam to escape - don't leave the entire thing off because that makes a mess... Leave it undone but still covering the opening.)
- Stir in the heavy cream and bring to a simmer. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Pour into bowls, garnish, and eat!